Brown fried rice? Absolutely.
Without a doubt, there are still people today who are deathly afraid of straying away from eggs and bacon—you know, traditional breakfast items. Don’t be one of those people Be adventurous with your morning meals, it’s good for you; healthy, even!
This recipe for Protein-Packed Breakfast Brown Fried Rice in a Mug from our friends at Spoon University is both adventurous and healthful. Even better, it uses only one dish to clean up afterward: a trusty 24 oz mug.
Photo by Katherine Baker
Protein-Packed Breakfast Brown Fried Rice in a Mug
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
1 cup leftover cooked brown rice (or cook 1/2 cup brown rice according to package)
½ cup Egg Beaters® Original
PAM® Cooking Spray
¼ cup sweet potato or squash, cubed (can substitute diced carrots)
¼ cup baby spinach or kale
¼ cup tomatoes, diced
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cumin, curry powder or soy sauce (you do you)
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
¼ cup chickpeas (optional)
Hummus, cubed avocado, and/or hot sauce for topping (optional)
1) Cube sweet potato and tomatoes into bite-sized pieces.
2) Spray a large microwave-safe mug with PAM® Cooking Spray before placing sweet potato cubes in the mug and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, until semi-tenderized, and set tomato pieces aside.
3) Add leftover brown rice to the mug and add curry powder, cumin or soy sauce, along with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss until rice is evenly coated with mixture.
4) Add 1/2 cup Egg Beaters® Original to the rice mixture and mix well.
5) Microwave on high for 90 seconds.
6) Remove from microwave, stir, and add spinach, diced tomatoes, and chickpeas (optional), and stir again.
7) Microwave on high for an addition 30-60 seconds, until Egg Beaters Original are fully cooked, and rice is fluffy.
8) Allow to cool slightly, and garnish with additional chickpeas, spinach, avocado, and/or hot sauce if you desire.