This is What Happens When You Accidentally Give Your Line Cooks Weed Cookies


There’s a difference between joking about getting high at work and actually doing it. Sure, the worst that can happen here is we cook up yet another recipe for a Nutella and Sriracha-coated, deep-fried, bacon-weave grilled cheese poutine. But when your “work” involves serving up upscale contemporary cuisine at a newly-opened restaurant in New York City, well, that’s a different story entirely.

Take it from Brian Leth, chef at the Vinegar Hill House and Hillside. In a recent New York Times Magazine article, a handful of New York chefs were asked to remember their worst kitchen disasters, which included, alongside exploding chickens and worm-infested oysters, also getting an entire kitchen staff blazed out of their gourds.


“One of the line cooks at a somewhat new restaurant used this incredibly powerful marijuana butter to make cookies,” Leth recalls in the article. “The whole staff was eating them, but only a third of them knew. Everyone found themselves radically out of their depth. I’d almost made it through service when someone walked in and ordered two côtes de boeuf. I had to get them down and butcher them. It took an hour to get the entrees to the table.”


We’re no strangers to a bit of on-the-clock debauchery, but I can imagine trying to butcher a cow while high is pretty daunting, so kudos to Brian for finishing the order at all.


Head chef: “F*ck guys I think my arm is bleeding.”
Sous chef: “Nah bro, that’s just the beef . . . Just kidding that’s totally your arm! DUDE HAHA HOLY SH*T!”
Head chef: “OMG IT IS HAHAHA.*faints*”
Sous chef: “HAHAHAHAHA.”



H/T + PicThx Gothamist

By Dominique Zamora

Dominique would be a foodie if she had money to pay for food. For now, she gets by just looking at food photography, which results in at least one more starving journalism student every time Instagram breaks down.

Leave a Reply