Since the early days of the pandemic, theme parks have shuttered their turnstiles in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Among them was popular Southern California-based Knott’s Berry Farm.
Now, months later Knott’s is reopening their doors. At least partially.
In specific, the theme park will be hosting a Taste of Calico food and beer event. Held only on weekends through the end of July, the Ghost Town section of the theme park will reopen for guests to walk around and eat their way through some of Knott’s new culinary offerings, as well as shop.
In early May, Knott’s reopened their fried chicken storefront for take-out only after being shut down since March. Now, guests will essentially have access to all the park’s food offerings.
This new menu includes dishes like Boysenberry Elote, Boysenberry Sausage on a bun, Boysenberry Steak Chili, Boysenberry stuffed churros, Mac n Cheese Bites, Pastrami Sandwiches, and Samosas.
With Knott’s announcement of Taste of Calico, we’ve wondered if it really is the right time to reopen their doors, especially with Governor Newsom’s order of closing down businesses to slow the spread of the pandemic only days ago.
To address health and safety concerns, Knott’s announced a plethora of safety measures that adhere to CDC guidelines ahead of the event. Here are essential safety measures the theme park stated will be taking during this re-opening period:
- Admission will be limited each day to ensure physical distancing
- Upon arrival, guests will be asked to enter a temperature screening and security checkpoint at the main gate
- All associates and guests must wear a facial covering while visiting Taste of Calico or the Knott’s California Marketplace store locations and restaurants – masks are not required while eating.
- Frequently touched surfaces will be disinfected daily and sanitized frequently. This includes but is not limited to cash counters, scanners, EMV readers, pens at cashier counters, register screens, store fixtures, door handles, and shopping baskets.
- Signage is present to aid guests in the proper direction of travel and as a reminder to practice social distancing.
- Seating will be spaced out throughout the Taste of Calico event footprint
- Hand sanitizing stations are available throughout the event area.
- All associates are screened, including temperature and symptom checks using CDC guidelines before being allowed on the property to work.
- Associates have been trained on the importance of handwashing, physical distancing, and overall hygiene.Separate entrances and exits will appear at some store locations.
- Store occupancy is limited to less than 50% of the normal building capacity. Queue lines outside of store locations with six-foot markers are present where applicable.
Those interested in attending this event will need to order tickets ahead of time online through the Knott’s website.
The event will take place on July 17-19 and the following weekend July 24-26. Event hours are Fridays and Saturdays from 4pm to 10pm and Sundays from 12pm to 8pm.
Knott’s Taste of Calico opens the same day as Disneyland’s projected reopening date of July 17, which given the current state of things isn’t going to happen any time soon.