The Real Reason We All Love To Order Ginger Ale On Planes

No one is really sure why, but ever since ginger ale and airplanes have both been around, they’ve gone hand in hand. I can’t remember why I first ordered ginger ale on a plane as a kid, but since then, the only other drinks I order on planes now are packed to the brim with booze. Some people still have a fear of flying.

Redditor muki_mono began a revolution when she asked the world of Reddit for their thoughts. “I always see people drinking ginger ale on planes, but almost never off them. I drink the same thing on planes than I do on solid ground, and it’s not ginger ale, but I keep feeling like there’s something everyone else is in on and I’m not.”

It’s magic sky juice.

As you can imagine, the thread erupted with a barrage of epiphanies, explanations and assumptions, all entertaining or informative. One Redditor referred to ginger ale as “magic sky juice,” while another pondered on the relativity of ginger ale, simply stating, “it’s just sort of…tradition.”

Most people believed that it helps settle an upset stomach, and frankly, I tend to agree with them. It’s settled my stomach more than once, especially as a child. That being said, there were some people slightly more qualified than your average Redditor who have a different opinion.

Sherry Ross, M.D., from Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, California, believes that, “It’s not the ginger providing the relief. . . You’re buying into the power of suggestion. We’ve learned from our mothers and grandmothers, who brought us ginger ale and chicken-noodle soup when we were sick as kids, that ginger ale works. . .Those types of foods have powerful messaging to our brains and that alone makes us feel better.”

As it turns out, it’s not the ginger in ginger ale that makes us feel better, but rather it’s a combination of nostalgia and a placebo effect.

I’m still getting ginger ale on every plane I board ’til the day I die.


Man Discovers Exactly Why You Should Never Try To Make Sushi At Home


One Canadian man learned the hard way that making sushi is best left to the master chefs at restaurants after his severe abdominal pains revealed a horrifying scene taking place in his stomach.

A recently published medical case titled “An unusual case of abdominal pain” tells of an unidentified 50-year-old man from Alberta who was admitted to the hospital in August 2014 with severe abdominal pain and vomiting.

The man had attempted to make sushi for himself by buying raw salmon from his nearby grocery store only hours before.

An x-ray at the hospital revealed an anomaly in his stomach, so doctors guided a camera down his esophagus to look inside his stomach.


Doctors discovered that the man’s pain was due to rare parasitic anisakis worms trying to borrow through his stomach lining — had they succeeded, the man would have suffered from long-term complications. The worms had to be surgically removed.

While some stores legitimately sell “sashimi grade” salmon, most selections at typical grocery stores are not fresh enough to eat raw.

It is recommended that you have sushi prepared by a professional chef at a restaurant or, if possible, to “freeze the fish for seven days at −20 C (-4 F) or at a lower temperature for a shorter period of time (less than −20 C for four days).”

If you aren’t sure how fresh that fish at the store is, it’s probably best you leave it to the professionals — after all, unlike a sushi chef, you probably didn’t spend 10 years to master the art of sushi.

h/t: Huffington Post

Written by Editorial Staff, NextShark


8 Boston College Basketball Players Just Fell Ill From Chipotle, What’s Going On?


Chipotle’s recent health scares are getting more worrisome by the day. They JUST brought back carnitas too. It looks like students from Boston College have gotten sick after eating at Chipotle near the campus, Business Insider reports.

A college official told Business Insider that several students and student-athletes had checked into the Boston College Health Services complaining of gastrointestinal symptoms. The one thing that all the students at the health center had in common was that they had all eaten at a nearby Chipotle.

The Cleveland Circle location is only about a mile and a half away from the main campus.

Since the reports of student sickness, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health has been contacted and is currently working to see if there is a link between the Boston case and the national outbreak.

An email from a college physician warned students, specifically student athletes, to not eat at the Chipotle and to seek medical attention if they had already done so.

Eight basketball players from Boston College have already been confirmed sick. Two other basketball players also came forward complaining of stomach issues.

While initially believed to be an E. Coli outbreak making the rounds across the country, CNN reports that this incident appears to be a norovirus isolated to that one restaurant. However, it will take a few days for test results to give a definitive answer.

A spokesman for Chipotle told Business Insider that the location has temporarily closed down while the illnesses were investigated.

Image: Google Maps


Popeye's Chicken & Biscuits Tattoo

This guy is clearly a fan of Popeye’s Chicken and Biscuits both mentally and physically. I hope he got a lifetime supply of fried chickeny goodness for this tattoo. If I were him, I’d get the whole thing covered in gravy.