Dominique Ansel is known for fire pastries and a pay-by-the-item brunch concept that features exceptional fried chicken. He’s now putting the two together for his latest creation: A spicy Kouign Amann fried chicken sandwich.
Photo courtesy of 189 by Dominique Ansel
Ansel utilizes one of his more popular pastries, the Kouign Amann, as the canvas for pieces of crispy fried chicken coated in a spicy hot sauce. For those who’ve never had a Kouign Amann, it’s a French pastry made with a croissant-like dough folded in on itself to produce its signature muffin-like shape.
Dominique Ansel is one of the more famous purveyors of this pastry, making his newest item a unique contribution to the hot chicken sandwich movement while still retaining the refinement of his French baking expertise.
The Kouign Amann fried chicken sandwich is available at Ansel’s Los Angeles restaurant, 189 by Dominique Ansel. It’s part of a brief Burger Picnic Pop-Up happening from March 12th to March 16th, from 11:30 am – 2 pm daily. The sandwich comes with fries, and costs $15.
Other items on the menu are as follows:
– The 189 Burger Junior (Chuck and shortrib blend, topped with tomato concasse confit, smoky pickled onions, tomme de savoie cheese, and lemon Dijon espelette aioli inside of a homemade potato bun) – $15, with fries
– The Lamb Baager (Ground lamb, za’atar, feta, verjus red onion, lemon confit aioli) – $15, with fries
– Vegging in the Park (A blackened veggie burger made from sweet potato and quinoa, topped with cheddar, curried yogurt, and cucumber pickle) – $15, with fries
– Homemade Popsicles (Horchata, Melon Mint, or Mango Passionfruit) – $4 each
– Roasted Nuts – $4 each
– Fresh-Baked Cookies (Chocolate Chunk, Double Chocolate Pecan, White Chocolate Sea Salt Macadamia) – $4 each
– Fresh Lemonade (Strawberry Basil, Ginger Lemonade, Pineapple) – $4 each
– Varying Craft Beers
There’s no reservation required to attend Ansel’s pop-up burger restaurant, which will be on the second floor of 189.