Feel like your cocktail is missing a hint of indulgence? This latest drink recipe comes from Fiola in DC and incorporates a technique called fat washing. After chefs cook venison, the rendered fat is set aside. The fat is stirred together with rye and placed in a freezer overnight. The next day, the solidified fat is scooped off and a smooth, caramel flavor is left behind.
It’s a heavy cocktail that makes a great night cap.
Fiola’s Venison Fat-Washed Whiskey Cocktail
Yields: 24 ounces.
- 2½ ounces venison fat
- 1 (750-ml) bottle of Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey
How to Make It
- Over low heat, warm the venison fat in a small saucepan.
- Stir until it becomes molten, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the liquid fat into a large, nonreactive container. Pour the rye into the container with the fat; stir.
- Cover and let stand for 4 hours, then place the container in the freezer overnight.
- Remove the solid fat. Strain through a cheesecloth 2–3 times. Pour the strained contents back into the original bottle and label.