The 4th of July is approaching and for many, that means stuffing your face with as much grilled goodness and booze as you possibly can. Now, if you were able to accomplish both in one heavenly bite? Even better.
This recipe combines Jägermeister, black cherry soda and Sriracha to infuse grilled ribs with a distinct sweetness, while also carrying a satisfying kick. Once you’re done, you should have a fair amount of booze leftover, which makes for the perfect, ahem, liqueur pairing to this tasty dish.
Black Cherry & Jägermeister Baby Back Ribs
4 racks of baby back ribs
2 oranges, thinly sliced
2 red onions, peeled, thinly sliced
4 cups bbq sauce (see pulled pork recipe)
1 bunch mint, picked
1 cup orange juice
1 cup Jägermeister
2–4 cups black cherry cola
1/2 cup smoked black pepper
1/2 cup onion powder
1/2 cup ancho powder
1/2 cup smoked paprika
1 cup Sriracha (or favorite hot sauce)
Here’s How to Make It
1. For the rub: Combine all of the ingredients. Rub the ribs thoroughly so that all surfaces are covered.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and heat a grill to high. Grill the ribs on both sides to create a nice char and smoky flavor.
3. In a hotel pan slice the oranges and layer the orange slices and mint leaves on top of the ribs. Stack the ribs on top of one another.
4. Combine the bbq sauce, orange juice and Jägermeister and pour over the ribs.
5. Scatter the sliced onions over the ribs and then fill the hotel pan with black cherry cola until the ribs are nearly covered.
6. Place the hotel pan on the stove over low/medium heat until the liquid comes to a simmer. Cover with parchment paper and tinfoil and simmer in the 300-degree oven for about 2–3 hours. Ribs should be tender and almost fall off of the bone.
7. Remove ribs from the liquid and place on a cooling rack.
8. Serve with additional Jägermeister bbq Sauce.