Categories
Celebrity Grub Now Trending

Mario Batali Includes Cinnamon Roll Recipe In His Sexual Misconduct Apology

This past week, accusations made against Mario Batali of sexual misconduct have seen him lose his role on The Chew and the removal of his products from most stores, amid other consequences. While he had previously released a public apology in a statement, a second one e-mailed out in his newsletter generated even more backlash against the chef.

At the end of his new statement, Mario Batali included a recipe for “Pizza Dough Cinnamon Rolls” for those reading his expression of regret. Of course, the tasteless act led to Twitter blasting him for the outrageous plug.

Batali and his team have yet to respond to the latest round of backlash.

Categories
Celebrity Grub News Now Trending Restaurants

Witnesses Say Mario Batali Frequented A Secret ‘Rape Room’ In New York’s Spotted Pig

The Spotted Pig is usually a destination restaurant in New York, but some pretty unsavory news has surfaced that might change your perception of it.

According to the New York Times, The Spotted Pig’s owner Ken Friedman is being accused of sexual misconduct for doing inappropriate things to several former employees. Examples of the misconduct include ass-grabbing, inviting women to smoke in his car then pinning them against the car door, and pulling a woman’s head toward his crotch as she picked up something off the floor.

There’s levels to this story, though, as the Spotted Pig was a hangout spot for Mario Batali, who was hit with sexual misconduct allegations of his own this week.

The reason Batali falls into this story, however, is because he was often spotted on the third floor of the restaurant, which several former employees, and food industry people recognized as “The Rape Room.”

When i grow up i want to be a @therockettes !!!

A post shared by Mario Batali (@mariobatali) on

The disgustingly named room earned its name for being an extremely private, VIP lounge where anything could, and did happen. Guests were allowed to grope female servers, and employees were forced to work until the party ended, even if it went into the wee hours of the morning.

Batali was known by Spotted Pig staff as “The Red Menace,” as he reportedly groped servers, made inappropriate comments about their breasts, and was even seen taking advantage of a woman who appeared to be passed out.

In the instance where Batali allegedly groped the incapacitated woman, Jamie Seet, a former Spotted Pig manager, told The Times she saw it happening through surveillance footage, and fortunately put a stop to it.

A post shared by Pig (@thespottedpig) on

These are allegations against not only Batali, but Friedman, with several witnesses coming forward to corroborate these accounts.

The Spotted Pig is still running business as usual, according to Grubstreet, as a staff writer dined at the restaurant after the allegations, writing her account.

We’ll have to see if there are any negative repercussions for the popular, award-winning restaurant.

Categories
Celebrity Grub News Now Trending

What Chefs Are Saying About Mario Batali’s Sexual Allegations

Celebrity chef Mario Batali was accused of sexual misconduct by four women, shocking and saddening the food world. While it is still sinking in that the world-renowned chef was probably a scumbag, some of his colleagues have given some early commentary on the situation.

While many have been silent, you know that Anthony Bourdain had something to say. Plus, a few others, such as Giada De Laurentiis and the cast of The Chew, briefly spoke, as the overall feeling still seems to be that of surprise.

Anthony Bourdain

Perhaps the most vocal so far has been fellow super chef and globetrotter Anthony Bourdain.

When Bourdain first heard the news, he said he felt “guilty as fuck,” for not knowing sooner, as apparently he is the lord of all things food, and everything should be run by him.

Sunday night, Bourdain tweeted out, “…and Monday, I’m afraid, isn’t going to get any better,” and “No. Trust me. Monday is really gonna suck.”

It seems Bourdain got a heads up on the news and was really distraught.

When the news on Batali broke Monday, Bourdain tweeted, “It’s Batali, and it’s bad.” In a back-and-forth Twitter conversation, Bourdain also said that he had been, “Sitting on stories that were not mine to tell.”

Giada De Laurentiis

Bourdain isn’t the only superstar chef to speak on Batali, as TMZ briefly caught up with Giada De Laurentiis, with the Food Network star commenting, “It’s obviously a time of cleansing,” then shrugged her shoulders when asked if she the news of Batali’s misconduct was a surprise.

Nancy Silverton

Silverton is a friend of Batali’s and spoke to Eater about the allegations, saying:

“It is a sad day in the restaurant industry. Mario has been a mentor, partner, and friend. We share a vision of hospitality and a love of life in the Italian tradition which we have endeavored to share with the people of Los Angeles for a decade. Mario is also a man with boundless bravado and a man with flaws.

Sexual misconduct of any kind is unacceptable in our workplaces, on any level and I simply do not stand for it. All of the restaurants we own together are led by women. From me and Dahlia Narvaez, to Liz Hong and Sarah Clarke.”

Tom Colicchio

It seems Tom Colicchio was not a big fan of Batali’s, as he responded with,”… no one should be surprised.” Colicchio even wrote an open letter to male chefs on Medium last November, where he stated, “Enough; Because deep down men know that sexist shit-talk is just a lazy substitute for real wit,” and “I’m betting we can reinvent our industry as a place where people of all genders feel safe and prepare to lead.”

The Chew Hosts

Carla Hall, Michael Symon, and Clinton Kelly worked with Batali, day in and day out. The three addressed the allegations, and basically said they’re moving forward without Batali for now.

Eric Ripert

French chef Eric Ripert had “a few words” about Batali, tweeting out:

Categories
Celebrity Grub News Now Trending

Mario Batali Leaves ‘The Chew’ And His Business Amid Sexual Harassment Allegations

In the latest within a string of high-profile sexual harassment scandals, Iron Chef and Food Network celebrity Mario Batali has stepped away from his company, Batali & Bastianich, following a string of allegations against the chef.

According to Eater NY, at least four women have come forward with accounts of Batali’s behavior, which included groping, sexual innuendos, inappropriate questions, and even forcing women to do things like straddle him. These activities reportedly happened from the time Batali was building his career in West Village to a couple of months ago, when a woman filed a formal complaint with Batali & Bastianich about the chef’s lewd behavior. The complaint was the first of its kind to come up against Batali, and the business reprimanded him and forced him to undergo training as a result.

Batali does not deny the allegations against him, saying they “match up” with his behavior. In a statement, he announced that he would be stepping away from day-to-day business operations at Batali & Bastianich as a result of the complaint and other accounts.

“I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted. That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family.

…I know my actions have disappointed many people. The successes I have enjoyed are owned by everyone on my team. The failures are mine alone. To the people who have been at my side during this time — my family, my partners, my employees, my friends, my fans — I am grateful for your support and hopeful that I can regain your respect and trust. I will spend the next period of time trying to do that.”

While Batali & Bastianich has had sexual harassment policies and training in place for over a decade, they will now also enlist a private investigative firm for staffers that wish to make claims against restaurant owners in their group.

Mario Batali has also been asked to step away from The Chew, an ABC daytime cooking show he has co-hosted since 2011, while ABC reviews the allegations.

UPDATE: Since the original publication of this story, four more women have come forward with allegations against Mario Batali. Three told their graphic stories to the Washington Post, while actress Siobhan Thompson told CBS Morning that she was also harassed by the chef, who inappropriately groped her breasts.

Another new disturbing account of Batali’s sexual misconduct, including groping and kissing a drunk woman inside of the so-called “rape room” at New York’s The Spotted Pig, was given to the New York Times. Batali had invested in the restaurant, and was a regular known as “The Red Menace” to staffers.

Categories
Celebrity Grub

Hugh Jackman Breaks His Wolverine Diet For A Giant Bowl Of Pasta [WATCH]

You can’t become one of the most bad-ass comic book heroes ever without a crazy diet and workout plan that keeps you shredded. That has been Hugh Jackman’s life over the last 17 years playing Wolverine in the X-Men movie franchise, keeping up his impressive physique throughout the years.

Jackman will be starring in his final Wolverine movie as “Logan” releases March 2, so while making his rounds promoting the film, he found himself on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

After all these years on the “Wolverine Diet,” eating endless amounts of steamed chicken breasts, Jackman broke his diet, as Fallon brought out famed chef Mario Batali, who gave Jackman a giant bowl of pasta to grub on.

Jackman was thrilled, saying, “That is the greatest freaking thing I’ve ever seen in my life.”

There’s absolutely no way that this is Jackman’s first cheat meal in 17 years, but whatever, it’s not a bad way to celebrate the final Wolverine movie, ever.

Categories
Celebrity Grub

This Is Everything Mario Batali Cooked For Obama’s Final State Dinner

President Barrack Obama will be leaving the White House next January, but not without throwing a kick-ass going away party first.

The final White House State Dinner went down Tuesday, and while superstars such as Jerry Seinfeld and Gwen Stafani were present, the main course was the man catering the epic event, Chef Mario Batali.

Batali served his most impressive Italian dishes for the president and his guests, and they certainly didn’t disappoint.

The courses, put together by both Batali and White House chef Cristeta Comerford, looked like this:

First Course

  • Sweet Potato Agnolotti with Butter and Sage
  • Palmina Vermentino “Santa Ynez” 2015

A photo posted by USNATO (@usmissionnato) on

__________

Salad Course

  • Warm Butternut Squash Salad with Frisee and Pecorino di New York
  • Villa Ragazzi Sangiovese “Napa” 2012

1400 squash cubes of joy seasoned w fennel pollen and pepper #wheeeeeestatedinner #yumbang

A photo posted by Mario Batali (@mariobatali) on

__________

Main Course

  • Beef Braciole Pinwheel with Horseradish Gremolata and Broccoli Rabe (A vegetarian version was available, as well)
  • Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel “East Bench” 2014

Presidential braciole are almost ready !! #wheeeeeestatedinner #yumbang

A photo posted by Mario Batali (@mariobatali) on

__________

Dessert

Green Apple Crostata with Thyme Caramel and Buttermilk Gelato

Petit Fours Display:

  • Sweet Corn Cream and Blackberry Cup
  • Concord Grape Bittersweet Chocolate Leaf
  • Orange Fig Slice
  • Pumpkin Cranberry Tart
  • Tiramisu

A photo posted by Selin (@sellinismonde) on

__________

Categories
Hit-Or-Miss

Apparently, Twitter Needs An Account Just For Food

Twitter-Food-Cover

With everyone tweeting about what they’re currently eating, it seems like the logical step for Twitter to make its very own food account. Thus, @TwitterFood was born. Though kind of late, isn’t it?

The social media platform has announced that the new handle will feature “delicious Tweets” and the “best conversations from top foodies on Twitter.” It will also bring followers an in-depth look at “restaurant culture” while retweeting food pics from prominent culinary personalities.

So far, all we’ve seen is @TwitterFood tease Mario Batali’s mystery meal and dope brisket shots from Alton Brown. Hopefully, as the account expands, we’ll see tons of awesome foodporn and chef rants.

Twitter-Food

Since it’s launch yesterday, the account has garnered more than 6,500 followers.

Categories
Hit-Or-Miss

Gwyneth Paltrow is Living off $29 Worth of Food This Week and People Are Not Impressed

Gynpal29

To raise awareness and funds for New York’s food banks, 42-year-old actress Gwyneth Paltrow has vowed to participate in Mario Batali’s “Food Bank Challenge.” Here, she’ll be required to live on $29 worth of food for the week, NYC’s weekly food allowance for people on food stamps.

Gynpal-01

Last week, she tweeted a photo of what she bought for $29.

Since her tweet, she’s been under scrutiny for her choices not being realistic to what a typical person on food stamps buys.

The Frisky notes that if Paltrow ate this for the week, she’d be consuming less than 1000 calories a day.

Rebecca Vipond of The Frisky wrote:

“Nutritionally speaking, this is a vitamin bonanza […] But people who live on [food stamps] don’t just have to get nutrients, they have to get actual calories, because they tend to have very physical lives, doing service labour and taking care of children and not necessarily being able to afford a car and so forth.”

Apart from all the harsh critique, I’m sure we can all agree that at least she’s bringing awareness to a serious issue, right?

Written by Jacob Wagner of NextShark