So a dude walks into a hospital…and got diagnosed with a hole in the wall of his stomach only explainable by the spicy Chinese hot pot he ate a few hours earlier.
Doctors at a hospital in Wuhan, China, were perplexed when a 26-year-old-man with no history of gastrointestinal disorders ended up in their emergency room after eating soup so spicy it apparently opened up a hole in the wall of his stomach. Like many hot pot restaurants in China, customers have the option of choosing the degree of spiciness their broth will encompass. In this particular case, it was a mala hot pot — málà literally translating to “numbing hot,” made using “a combination of chili pepper and a special spice, “Sichuan pepper”, known to cause a numbing sensation in the mouth.”
The victim in this particular story had ordered the spiciest batch of mala hot pot on the menu. Shortly after putting down the meal, he began to feel a pain in his stomach, followed by vomiting up a significant amount of blood. The man was rushed to a local hospital where doctors found the hole in his stomach. Japanese site RocketNews24 reports that prior to this incident, the gentleman involved had no medical history of ulcers or other gastrointestinal disorders.
Interestingly enough, the hospital the victim arrived at reported roughly 15% gastrointestinal cases are said to result from hot pot-related incidents. Scary stuff.
H/T + PictureThx: RocketNews24