Drinks Health News Packaged Food

Man Gets Hepatitis After Weeks Of Drinking Nothing But Energy Drinks


We’ve pounded quite a few energy drinks back in our college days. Had to stay awake and cram for those finals somehow. We’ve never drank so many that we’d contract a life-threatening disease, however.

After this terrifying wake up call, we may never touch one again.

Gizmodo reports that a 50-year-old man was diagnosed with severe hepatitis after drinking nothing but energy drinks for three weeks straight. Reports say he needed them to get through his long hours as a construction worker.

The man soon became fatigued, experienced abdominal pain, had nausea, and vomited frequently. He thought he had the flu until he noticed his urine was dark and his skin turned yellow. Yep, jaundice.

The doctors diagnosed the man with hepatitis due to his excessive ingestion of vitamin B3, which is also known as niacin. A typical energy drink, let’s say Monster, contains about 200 percent of the daily recommended intake of niacin. That amount isn’t enough to poison you… unless you drink five to seven times that throughout the day for nonstop for weeks.

A new case published in the British Medical Journal states that consumers should be aware of all the ingredients found in popular foods and drinks so they don’t over-consume dietary supplements.

Maybe we’ll just stick to black coffee for a while.

Fast Food Health News Restaurants

10 Cases Of Hepatitis A Linked To Smoothie Franchise


Smoothies just can’t catch a break. First we find out that they’re packed with sugar and now some of them can even give you hepatitis A.

According to WTKR, some Tropical Smoothies Cafe in Virginia served frozen strawberries in their smoothies that may have a strain of the hepatitis virus. Customers who consumed a smoothie that featured the frozen fruit on the dates August 5-8 will want to get vaccinated or an immune globulin.

According to the Virginia Department of Health there have been 10 cases of hepatitis A linked to the strawberries at the Tropical Smoothie Cafe locations so far.

Tropical Smoothie Cafe has voluntarily removed the frozen fruit, which had been sourced from Egypt, from their stock. Patrons who had one after the aforementioned dates are not believed to be at risk. However, you may still want to keep an eye out for symptoms of hepatitis A which develop 15 to 50 days after exposure to the virus.

Symptoms of the ailment include fever, loss of appetite, fatigue, the yellowing of skin or eyes, nausea, vomiting, and dark urine.

Those who show these signs should seek medical attention immediately and are encouraged to wash your hands frequently with warm soap and water if you plan on handling food, to prevent the spread of the virus.

If you work in food service, just stay home.

Fast Food

1,000 McDonald’s Customers Exposed To Hepatitis A, You Bet There’s A Lawsuit Brewing


Scary news in the world of fast food. A McDonald’s operator of a Waterloo, NY, franchise was sued by a customer after one of the restaurant’s employees exposed patrons to hepatitis A, Reuters reports. The virus is known for causing contagious liver infections which causes the liver to inflame and might affect function.

The Seneca County Health Department confirmed the case of hepatitis A on Nov. 13 in the fast food employee. Filed in New York City, the lawsuit seeks class-action status for anyone who could be potentially affected. The number of patrons is believed to be 1,000 or more.

By not washing his or her hands, the worker with the virus can contaminate food, dishes, utensils and even drinks.

While public health officials says that diners had a low risk of contracting Hep A, they still urge anyone who ate food at the McDonald’s locations on Nov. 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8 to get treatment if they had not been vaccinated for Hep A.