You’re probably familiar with the big three in monster cereals — Count Chocula, Boo Berry, and Franken Berry — but did you know that there were originally five in total? Luckily, General Mills decided to bring the final two back from the grave this year (albeit slightly modified): Fruit Brute and Fruit Yummy Mummy, my personal favorite.
You have no idea how jazzed I was to hear this! Starting in mid-September, I visited my local Target (the only place where you can purchase all of them) multiple times each week for no other reason than to get my hands on them. However, once I did, I had to figure out which to eat first. You should know my motto by now: WHY CHOOSE? So I created something that would allow me (and you) to enjoy all five monster cereals at once: Monster Cereal Marshmallow Treats.
Monster Cereal Marshmallow Treats
- 1 1/2c EACH of Boo Berry, Franken Berry, Count Chocula, Fruity Yummy Mummy, and Frute Brute
- 1 bag (10.5 oz) minature marshmallows
- 3T butter
Here’s How to Make It
- Grease a 9×13 pan with shortening.
- Thoroughly mix all five cereals together in a very large bowl.
- Melt together marshmallows and butter — either in a large glass bowl in the microwave or a large pot on the stove.
- Stir cereal into the mallow mixture until the mallow is evenly distributed among the cereal bits.
- Spread and smash the mixture into your prepped pan and let cool.
- Cut into whatever size you feel appropriate. I usually try to cut 24 bars (6×4) but no judgement if you decide the serving size is for one.
Once they were all mixed together, I couldn’t tell which was what, all I know is that these monster treats are scary good! If you grew up looking forward to seeing these cereals on the shelves during Halloween, these marshmallow treats will provide you with some sweet and much needed nostalgia that will go perfectly with the 80s-themed costume I know you’ve been waiting all year to wear. Enjoy and Happy Halloween!