Introducing: AVOCADO CHILI BOMBS.
Posted by Foodbeast on Tuesday, February 2, 2016
You heard it here first—pie bombs are the new pies.
It’s a dark day for pies everywhere because we now have our hands on a formula for insanely delicious AVOCADO FRITO PIE BOMBS. Even more, they make for the perfect Game Day appetizer.
We’ve got Amy Erickson of Oh Bite It to thank for the recipe; she generously coats and bakes fresh avocados with Frito chips and chili cheese to make Bombs that burst with flavor, then adds a sprinkling of cilantro, jalapeno, Mexican crema, and cotija cheese to bring the heat!
You’d think that Bombs so delectable as these would set you back a couple of days at the gym, but guess what? Avocados are full of naturally good fats that are actually good for your body, AND they are cholesterol-free…so take that, Mom!
Learn how to turn this avocado dream into your reality with the instructions below, because Avocado Bombs are the new potato skins.
Photo by Pete Pham
Avocado Frito Pie Bombs
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
9×13 sheet pan
2 med/lg. Hass Avocados
2 – 9 oz. bags of Original Fritos
4 – 1″ cubes of sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
approx. 1 cup of prepared chili, equally divided x4 between the avocados *You may use a bit more or less chili just depending on the particular size of your avocados.
Mexican Crema or sour cream
1. Crush half a bag of the Fritos into crumbs (I used a food processor, but a zipper bag and muscles will work too) place them into a shallow bowl ..SET ASIDE..
2. Lay out the remaining Fritos, plus some from the unopened bag if needed, evenly onto the sheet pan, creating a generous, bed of Fritos! ..set aside..
3. Now, evenly cut each avocado in half lengthwise, and remove the pit
4. Gently coat each avocado half in the crushed fritos and place them onto the sheet pan, nestling them slightly into the bed of Fritos.
5. Place a 1″ cube of cheddar into each center of the avocados.
6. And now top the cheese cubes with a generous scoop of the chili.
7. Top the filled avocados and the bet of fritos evenly with the shredded cheddar.
8. Bake them at 350 degrees for approx. 15-20 minutes..OR just until the chili and cheese are bubbly and the fritos are slightly golden.
9. Let them cool for a few minutes, and then top them with some of the Mexican crema, and all the other preferred garnishes.
10. Serve with a cold Mexican beer!
Created in partnership with the Hass Avocado Board