Categories
Health News Now Trending

College Student Dies After Choking During Pancake Eating Contest

A word of caution to anyone interested in trying out competitive eating for themselves: it can be dangerous and deadly.

Such was the case for Sacred Heart University student Caitlin Nelson, who died on Sunday after choking during a pancake eating contest for her sorority.

NY Daily News reported that Nelson began choking at the contest after eating four to five pancakes Thursday, and was almost immediately treated to by nursing students as paramedics arrived. Unfortunately, they were unable to clear her airway. She was later taken to a hospital, where she died three days later.

The pancake eating contest was part of a charity event for Greek Week at the university.

Sadly, this wasn’t the only death to occur during an eating challenge in the past week. KDVR reported that a young man in Denver also died after attempting to conquer a donut-eating challenge at Voodoo Doughnut, and also choking.

Denver-based competitive eater Bryan Beard told KDVR that people often overlook the dangers of such competitive eating conquests until after the fact.

“People don’t think about the hazards of an eating contest until it’s too late… I’ve choked to the point where I had to reach down and pull it out of my throat. Every competitive eater has choked. It happens.”

At officially sanctioned eating competitions, medical personnel are on staff to immediately help in case somebody does choke. At a local eating contest or challenge like the pancake eating contest or donut challenge, however, that’s not the case, and while medical help did arrive, it was too late in both instances.

So if you’re considering participating in an eating challenge, learn from these tragedies. Make sure there is somebody nearby who is trained in CPR and first aid, have water around to wash the food down, and keep your cheeks clear of food at all times. It may very well save your life.

Categories
Video

WE CAN’T LOOK AWAY: Takeru Kobeyashi Devours Pizza In One Minute [Video]

kobeyashi

Don’t eat so fast, you’re going to get a stomach ache, Takeru Kobeyashi’s mother probably told him (once, a long, long, long time ago, we’re guessing.)

But luckily for us, the little boy who didn’t pay his momma any mind would one day grow up to be the well-known Japanese competitive eater. His reaction? Relax, Mom — and watch me inhale incredible amounts of (name any old food here — say hot dogs, meatballs, or pasta) and not get sick!

While Takeru “The Tsunami” Kobeyashi is typically known for dipping his hot dogs in water (or soda) to make it all . . . slide down more easily, the champ didn’t have any tricks up his sleeve when it came to devouring an entire 12-inch Domino’s pizza in under a minute at a Super Bowl party this year — he just went rogue.

Watch the video below to watch Kobeyashi (it’s mesmerizing — we can’t look away) delve into his meal face-first.

H/T Youtube