Categories
Animals Features Health Hit-Or-Miss

The FDA Is Warning About A Common Food That Could Harm Your Dog

It’s been known for some time now that xylitol, a crystalline substance used as an artificial sweetener in many foods and drinks, is harmful to dogs. Although this was already known, it is certainly not considered common knowledge and it was never officially announced by the FDA,  until now.

According to the report posted a week ago, xylitol can be found in a variety of household items and common foods that we never would have suspected before. Some of the more common items that contain the harmful substance are:

-breath mints

-baked goods

-cough syrup

-chewable vitamins (both children and adults)

-mouthwash

-toothpaste

It turns out that xylitol, while completely harmless and safe for us, is toxic to dogs due to the affect it has on their pancreas. The pancreas is the gland that releases insulin and regulates the level of blood sugar in people and animals, keeping us from feeling too lethargic or too excitable, and adversely, keeping us alive. So why is xylitol so dangerous to dogs and so safe for us?

When dogs eat something containing xylitol, the xylitol is more quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, and may result in a potent release of insulin from the pancreas. This rapid release of insulin may result in a rapid and profound decrease in the level of blood sugar (hypoglycemia), an effect that can occur within 10 to 60 minutes of eating the xylitol. Untreated, this hypoglycemia can quickly be life-threatening.

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 2.20.07 PM

Dogs may not be fountains of overflowing wisdom, but they are tenacious and determined. Leaving anything containing xylitol on the counter or table could mean trouble for you, especially if it’s something that smells particularly good and your dog can access countertops and tables. More often than not, the most common case of dogs being poisoned by xylitol is from chewing gum. It doesn’t take much for little Buddy to catch a whiff of that Juicy Fruit in your purse then go HAM on it.

If your dog does get his paws on some food or household items containing xylitol, look for any of these most common symptoms:

  • vomiting
  • decreased activity
  • weakness
  • staggering
  • incoordination
  • collapsing
  • seizures

In some cases, hypoglycemia (or low blood sugar levels) doesn’t take effect for 12-24 hours, so immediate response to any xylitol-related accidents is the best route for making sure your little pup stays safe before anything potentially life-threatening begins happening. In order to make sure your dog is staying healthy, it’s always best to read the ingredients for anything you would consider feeding your dog outside of the realm of dog food.

Some things you can do to make sure your dog never gets his paws on some xylitol is to keep any products containing xylitol high and out of reach from your pup, check the labels of anything you feed them (especially sweets), and never use human toothpaste on your dog in place of canine toothpaste.

Cat owners – While it hasn’t been completely proven that this substance is dangerous to cats as well, since they generally have an aversion to sweets, it’s best to try and keep it away from them anyways. Better to be safe than sorry.

Check out this article for more information on human foods that can be fatal to your pet.

 

 

Photo Credit: Pinterest, FDA

Categories
Hit-Or-Miss

Kinky Wife Sticks Fruit Up Her Privates ALL DAY For Her Marriage

People do some pretty crazy and nasty things in bed. I’m no saint either, I once asked a girl to hogtie me and slap my nipples like they brought dishonor to her family.

One reddit user known as morninglost recently posed a question for the Reddit community. I can sit here and try to explain it thoroughly, but I’d rather just come out and say it while picturing the shocked “O” face you’ll likely be making: she shoves fruits and vegetables up her vagina and leaves them there all day for her husband to eat when he gets back. Check out her short back story:

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 11.40.50 AM

Right now you’re imagining it.

Ok, now you’re wondering if leaving food in a vagina all day is bad for it, and assuring yourself it has to be.

Finally, you’re wondering what the hell is wrong with her husband. You’re also thinking, “food-stuffed vaginas have never once saved a marriage…well, at least none that I know of.”

Guess where those grapes have been all day.

 

Thankfully for morninglost, one of the commenters was a family doctor who gave a detailed overview of the risks associated with putting things that aren’t a penis into your vagina. Friendly as the good doctor was, his opening line was still a bit curious. He started off by saying, “I’m a family doctor with an interest in helping people explore kinks and sexual interests in a healthy way, but I’m not a gynecologist.”*

A family doctor that likes helping people explore kinks? Yikes, color me concerned. Still, he brought up some good points, such as the risk for toxic shock syndrome and sexually transmitted infections.

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 12.03.37 PM

I still can’t figure out what the “hot” part of this fetish is. Is he trying to ferment the fruit or something? Does he think he’s going to come home to some carrot vagina wine? And when she says things like pears and apples, does she mean the entire fruit!? Did Hermione use an Extension Charm on morninglost’s vagina? Because I don’t know how else you would fit an entire apple in there.

Also, your husband wants you to put food in your body, but not through your mouth hole. Perhaps I’m overstepping my bounds, but maybe it’s time to start looking for a partner that enjoys his food refrigerated, rather than using your reproductive organs as a way-too-organic storehouse. Just my two cents.

Hey, whatever you gotta do to get your daily fruits and veggies, right?

 

 

*Editor’s Note: This sentence was edited for correctional purposes, none of the words were changed.

Photo Credit: Google, Reddit, Vocal Health, Ebaum’s World, Self

Categories
Health

Man Discovers Exactly Why You Should Never Try To Make Sushi At Home

3537413623_f4bbf3ca2e_o-e1453415321129

One Canadian man learned the hard way that making sushi is best left to the master chefs at restaurants after his severe abdominal pains revealed a horrifying scene taking place in his stomach.

A recently published medical case titled “An unusual case of abdominal pain” tells of an unidentified 50-year-old man from Alberta who was admitted to the hospital in August 2014 with severe abdominal pain and vomiting.

The man had attempted to make sushi for himself by buying raw salmon from his nearby grocery store only hours before.

An x-ray at the hospital revealed an anomaly in his stomach, so doctors guided a camera down his esophagus to look inside his stomach.

sush2-e1453415330879

Doctors discovered that the man’s pain was due to rare parasitic anisakis worms trying to borrow through his stomach lining — had they succeeded, the man would have suffered from long-term complications. The worms had to be surgically removed.

While some stores legitimately sell “sashimi grade” salmon, most selections at typical grocery stores are not fresh enough to eat raw.

It is recommended that you have sushi prepared by a professional chef at a restaurant or, if possible, to “freeze the fish for seven days at −20 C (-4 F) or at a lower temperature for a shorter period of time (less than −20 C for four days).”

If you aren’t sure how fresh that fish at the store is, it’s probably best you leave it to the professionals — after all, unlike a sushi chef, you probably didn’t spend 10 years to master the art of sushi.

h/t: Huffington Post

Written by Editorial Staff, NextShark

Categories
#foodbeast

Passed Med School? Here’s a Cake

Doctor-Cake-PoundFB-Pete

Picthx herper

Categories
Technology

Resuscitate Your Breakfast With This Defibrillator Toaster

Who says breakfast can’t be exciting? I can’t think of a better way to spend a Sunday morning than shocking your bread back to life– it’s fun for the whole family! It seems straight forward enough: place a slice in each tray, select your toasting level, apply pressure and BAM, all clear! If you look closely, you can see the heart rate imprint that will be left on your flat-lining toast.

Sadly, this toaster is only a concept developed by Shay Carmon, the creator of other bizarre ideas such as the ‘two leg table’, and the ‘leaning chair’. Hopefully some day soon it will appear on the shelves, and you can finally fulfill your parent’s dream of becoming a cardiac surgeon. Well, close enough.

via Incredible Things

Categories
Sweets

Gummy Bear Surgery

Becoming a doctor is a hard long road only a few make it down successfully. But why bother going through years of medical school when you can become a surgeon in the comfort of your own home. Gummy Bears, a scalpel, and a metal tube are all you need to perform some of the most complicated operations that even Dr. Frankenstein himself wouldn’t mess with. Read the rest of the post if you want to learn how to deal with gummy bears that are in desperate need of help with split personalities disorders, heart transplants (picture shown above), brain transplants, or who just are plain monsters.