Categories
Health News Now Trending

College Student Dies After Choking During Pancake Eating Contest

A word of caution to anyone interested in trying out competitive eating for themselves: it can be dangerous and deadly.

Such was the case for Sacred Heart University student Caitlin Nelson, who died on Sunday after choking during a pancake eating contest for her sorority.

NY Daily News reported that Nelson began choking at the contest after eating four to five pancakes Thursday, and was almost immediately treated to by nursing students as paramedics arrived. Unfortunately, they were unable to clear her airway. She was later taken to a hospital, where she died three days later.

The pancake eating contest was part of a charity event for Greek Week at the university.

Sadly, this wasn’t the only death to occur during an eating challenge in the past week. KDVR reported that a young man in Denver also died after attempting to conquer a donut-eating challenge at Voodoo Doughnut, and also choking.

Denver-based competitive eater Bryan Beard told KDVR that people often overlook the dangers of such competitive eating conquests until after the fact.

“People don’t think about the hazards of an eating contest until it’s too late… I’ve choked to the point where I had to reach down and pull it out of my throat. Every competitive eater has choked. It happens.”

At officially sanctioned eating competitions, medical personnel are on staff to immediately help in case somebody does choke. At a local eating contest or challenge like the pancake eating contest or donut challenge, however, that’s not the case, and while medical help did arrive, it was too late in both instances.

So if you’re considering participating in an eating challenge, learn from these tragedies. Make sure there is somebody nearby who is trained in CPR and first aid, have water around to wash the food down, and keep your cheeks clear of food at all times. It may very well save your life.

Categories
News

This 2-Year-Old Hosted A Tea Party For The Officer That Saved Her Life

It’s no surprise that police/citizen relations have taken a big hit lately, especially with all of the unfortunate tragedies we hear about in the news. So it should come as no surprise that the entire world stopped for this “awww” moment between a 2-year-old and the officer that saved her life.

Roughly one year ago, Rowlett Police Cpl. Patrick Ray arrived onto a potentially tragic scene. Tammy Norvell, mother of Bexley Norvell, ran into the front yard clutching her baby.

According to Inside Edition, Bexley’s lips had gone completely blue, and she wasn’t responding to anything her mother was doing, not even to getting her cheeks slapped.

Tammy even tried to pry her daughter’s mouth open, but her jaw was clenched shut, making it impossible.

Working quickly, Corporal Ray took Bexley and began doing everything he could to open the young girl’s mouth. After a moment, he was able to push whatever was in her throat downwards with his fingers. A small pop and a squeak later and Bexley was all well again.

X-rays were taken later and it was determined that little Bexley somehow managed to swallow a penny.

Tammy knew that this would be a day that her daughter would remember forever, but she wanted to make sure her daughter remembered it for the right reasons. To commemorate the day her daughter’s life was saved, Tammy commissioned a professional photographer to take pictures of Bexley and Corporal Ray (or “P-Ray” as Bexley likes to call him) enjoying a tea party together.

“I don’t have any girls myself,” said Corporal Ray, “and this was something I couldn’t resist. I just couldn’t say no.”

Doesn’t get much cuter than this, does it?

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 3.28.46 PM Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 3.28.32 PM Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 3.28.18 PM Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 3.28.00 PM

 

 

Photo Credit: Chelle Cates Photography

Categories
Packaged Food

355,000 Cans Of SpaghettiOs Recalled For Plastic Bits In The Sauce

SpagO-Red-Recall

Campbell Soup Company is issuing a recall of 355,000 SpaghettiOs cans after it was discovered that pieces of red plastic lining was found in the tomato sauce. Consumerist reports that because of the choking hazard that this presents, the company is recalling the cans of Original Flavor.

The 14.2 ounce cans in question have February 22, 2016 on the bottom of each lid with a UPC number of 51000 22432. Campbell says to return the cans to the store where they were purchased, but if consumers are unable to, they should call the company’s recall line at 1-866-535-3774.

Can’t have plastic bits interrupting our SpaghettiOs time.

While the pieces of plastic were discovered through numerous customer complaints, it doesn’t look like anyone was hurt yet from the product.

Photo: SpaghettiOs

Categories
Packaged Food

Kraft Recalls 36,000 Cases Of Cheese Product After Plastic Choking Incidents

Kraft-Cheese-Recall

The Kraft Heinz Company announced that it’s recalling 36,000 cases of Kraft Singles, Consumerist reports. Turns out, the plastic wrap that separates each individual slices is a choking hazard.

In a press release, the company stated, “A thin strip of the individual packaging film may remain adhered to the slice after the wrapper has been removed. If the film sticks to the slice and is not removed, it could potentially cause a choking hazard.”

There have been three reports of people choking on the plastic and ten overall complaints about the packaging.

Kraft-Recall-2

The main products of the recall are the 3-pound and 4-pound sizes of Kraft Singles American and White American pasteurized prepared cheese product. They feature a ‘Best When Used By’ date of Dec. 29, 2015.

Consumers are advised to return the item to the store if they purchased the recalled cheese product. There, they can exchange it or receive a full refund. Folks in the US and Puerto Rico can also contact Kraft Consumer Relations at 1-800-432-3101 on Monday through Friday at 9am to 6pm for a full refund.

Kraft also apologizes for disappointing consumers with its packaging.