Categories
News

Frat Boys Rub Peanut Butter On Allergic Pledge’s Face, Nearly Kill Him

Hazing in fraternities is a common rite of passage, but they might need to start using some restaurant-like policies and ask pledges if they have deadly allergies.

Alpha Chi Rho Fraternity of Central Michigan University nearly killed a pledge with a peanut allergy after rubbing peanut butter all over his face, according to NBC 5. The pledge was eventually taken to CMU’s campus health clinic by a professor, and was treated.

The pledge’s mother, Teresa Seely, posted photos of her son, showing his face as disturbingly bloated, and disfigured. She said in the post:

“Last night, we found out that our son was a victim of a hazing incident at Alpha Chi Rho Fraternity at Central Michigan University in the fall.

This is a picture of what they did to him. He has a deadly peanut allergy and they rubbed peanut butter on his face while he was passed out. He could have been killed. He was sent to the campus health clinic by a professor and treated. Luckily he is still alive.

Our family is devastated. Here are some of the steps we have taken so far: Notified the campus police. Notified Central Michigan University. Notified the Local News Agencies.”

The incident reportedly happened during the 2016 fall semester, and one of the students involved actually spoke about it, saying, “It was just a joke. We used peanut butter and put it on his face. We didn’t know he was allergic.”

The frat also reportedly offered to pay for the medical bills, as they were sorry the whole thing happened.

The off-campus fraternity is unrecognized by CMU, being closed in 2011 due to hazing incidents.

Director of Communications at CMU, Heather Smith, told NBC 5 that they responded immediately. The investigation is ongoing, but the students could be expelled, or even face legal trouble.

Thankfully, the victim is alive, and while he transferred from CMU, it was allegedly because he got a tennis scholarship, not because this frat messed him up.