I’ve come to a realization about myself: I love frosting, and I think it’s highly underutilized. Sure, with the popularity of cake balls and whoopie pies, it gets a lot of love, but it’s not the star of the show.
So I’ve decided to stop beating around the bush and declare that it’s high time for frosting-filled pie. Yup. Frosting. Pie.
I used a Chocolate Almond frosting, an Oreo crust, and cherry pie filling for this particular recipe, but I encourage you to branch out and experiment with different frosting flavors, pie crusts, and mix-ins.
Black Forest Frosting Pie
- 1 can of Frosting Creations Frosting Starter
- 1 packet of Duncan Hines Frosting Creations’ Chocolate Almond Flavor Mix
- 1 (6 oz) premade Oreo cookie pie crust
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling, divided
- Pour pack of Duncan Hines Frosting Creations’ Chocolate Almond Flavor Mix into can of Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Frosting Starter. Stir until evenly blended.
- In a large bowl, fold together frosting and 8 oz of Cool Whip until no white streaks are visible.
- Spread 1 cup cherry pie filling into bottom of Oreo pie crust. Save the remaining filling for garnish.
- Pour frosting mixture over the cherry filling and fill pie crust (it’s going to be FULL).
- Place pie in freezer for 1 to 2 hours to set.
- Prior to serving, garnish with remaining cherry filling. (Store leftovers, if there are any, in the fridge).
Sometimes I get on kicks where I just make one recipe over and over again but mix up the basic ingredients. This is one of those times, and I encourage you to join me. Four ingredients, a mere ten minutes (if that) of prep, endless possibilities, and frosting pie for everyone!