Categories
Hit-Or-Miss

Cobra Head Bites and Kills Chef Even After Being Decapitated

Cobra-Head-Chef

A chef died after being bitten by the decapitated head of an Indochinese Spitting Cobra. The Mail Online reports that Peng Fan was cleaning out the cooking area of his restaurant in the Guandong Province of China. The restaurant serves the cobra as a delicacy in one of their soups. Fan was in the middle of throwing out the severed head of the snake into the trash receptacle when it bit down on his hand. The snake’s head had already been severed for twenty minutes by then.

At the time, the restaurant did not carry any anti-venom for the cobra dishes they prepare. Fan died of from asphyxiation due to the neurotoxin from the bite before any medical help could arrive. While strange, it’s very much possible for a cobra to retain it’s motor functions even several moments after decapitation. It’s advised when handling dead cobras to either bury or burn the heads immediately to prevent them from biting you.

The spitting cobra was believed to provide health benefits for anyone who consumes it.

H/T Rocket News 24

By Peter Pham

Pete's favorite foods include pizza, tacos and pretty much any kind of breakfast. He'll usually snap a photo or two while his food cools down.

13 replies on “Cobra Head Bites and Kills Chef Even After Being Decapitated”

Yeah, well, that’s what happens when you mess around with shit you shouldn’t be messing with and chopping the heads off of the poor things.

Sorry, but it’s just like people who are trampled and gutted by a bull they’re teasing and shooting with darts – I can’t feel any sympathy.

Some things in nature just shouldn’t be f****d with. And this is why I think humans are stupid.

Because other animals are just found as steaks and chops in the wild, of course. Idiot.
Also, comparing the preparation of food to the intentional aggravation and abuse of animals for entertainment is beyond moronic.

No it isn’t. It all falls into the same category. The point being if you fuck with nature, be prepared to get the occasional bite on the ass.

Screwing with a venomous snake is NOT the smartest thing in the world to do.

All animals are nature so are we all going to get what we deserve? The snake is not poisonous, its venom is and is in no way comparable to fugu. Eating all food prepared from a dining establishment is taking a chance that it will be prepared correctly and that you may get sick. The stupid thing here was that there was no anti-venom in a place that has live cobra’s and improper disposal of the heads, not chefs going where they “ain’t s’posed to”.

It’s the same principle. And true, eating anywhere you’re taking a chance, even at home. But there’s a difference between eating something that MIGHT make you sick if it’s spoiled and eating something that very well may kill you, simply because it’s already poisonous. Two totally different worlds here. It’s like comparing apples to oranges.

And yes, I’m aware that the venom is what’s poisonous. Why don’t we get a little MORE technical, hmmm?

I will, however, agree that they should have been better prepared for something like this, something that may possibly happen.

Again… not smart messing with an animal that can possibly kill you. That’s my opinion and I’m stickin’ to it.

Didn’t mean to get so technical… since this article is about an accident during prep and not eating.

Actually, what the restaurant didn’t have is called ‘antivenin.’ It’s a preparation made from blood serum taken from healthy horses which have been immunized with venom from specific poisonous snakes. I don’t know why it’s called antivenin instead of anti venom – it just is. That is all.

Leave a Reply