This recipe comes courtesy of Katie Chin, the author of the new cookbook Everyday Thai Cooking. Although this particular recipe is a FOODBEAST exclusive, if you’re looking for a back-to-basics Thai cookbook — you should definitely give this one a try. These Thai meatballs combine beef, coconut milk, ginger, red curry paste, and fish sauce in a sort of Thai meatball bánh mì. Go ahead, be impressed.
Thai Meatball Submarine Sandwich
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 ½ lbs lean ground beef
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 large egg
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon high-heat cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons panaeng curry paste or red curry paste
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4-6 kaffir lime leaves (optional), torn in half
- 4 12-inch soft baguettes
- shredded carrots
- fresh cilantro leaves
- fresh Thai basil leaves
- sliced fresh Jalapeno or Serrano chilies
- crushed roasted peanuts
How to Make It
- Mix the ground beef with ginger, salt and egg. Shape mixture into 20 meatballs. Transfer meatballs onto a platter.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the coconut milk to the frying pan and let come a gentle simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the curry paste to the pan and cook about 3 minutes, stirring to dissolve the paste into the coconut milk. Return the meatballs and cook, turning gently to coat, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, bring to a gentle boil, and add the water, fish sauce, brown sugar and kaffir lime leaves. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring gently until the meatballs are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Slice baguettes open with serrated knife. Place cilantro leaves, basil leaves and shredded carrots in the bottom and sides of each baguette. Using a slotted spoon, place 5 meatballs in each baguette. Drizzle curry sauce on top of the meatballs. Place chilies on top and garnish with crushed peanuts. Serve immediately with a bowl of curry sauce on the side.