Categories
Health Video

Here’s Exactly Why Dogs Can’t Eat Chocolate

We definitely know what foods can make your dogs sick, or even kill them. One of these items, as sweet as it tastes, is chocolate. Have you ever wondered exactly why something so innocuous as chocolate, however, can make your pooch so ill?

SciShow created a video explaining the science behind never giving your dog chocolate. Turns out, it’s all because of a molecule called theobromine.

The video explains that the molecule is an alkaloid which often produces physiological effects on both animals and humans. Theobromine causes an increase in heart rate, dilates blood vessels, and expands muscle energy.

Because animals have trouble processing theobromine much slower than humans, it builds up and causes nausea, convulsions, and potentially death. Since dogs are much lighter than humans, they can easily become sick from consuming even the smallest amount of chocolate.

Now that you know why chocolate is essentially the canine kryptonite, you won’t feel half as bad about not sharing with your furry best friend. Make sure to check out the video for an in-depth explanation.

By Peter Pham

Pete's favorite foods include pizza, tacos and pretty much any kind of breakfast. He'll usually snap a photo or two while his food cools down.