For those who love birria, Del Real Foods just dropped a Birria Taco Kit that simplifies making the braised, shredded beef at home. It makes 5 double-stacked tacos in just 5 minutes of heating, making it a super quick option for a tasty gluten-free meal – or something fun you can use to transform into a creative new dish.
However, Chris made one that uses just the core ingredients of birria and transforms them into a new dish: Birria Lasagna.
Instead of pasta, this lasagna uses layers of tortillas that have Oaxacan cheese fried into them. The birria from the Del Real kit makes it super easy to construct, and all you need is the kit, some Oaxacan cheese, queso fresco, and whatever toppings you desire what the lasagna is baked.
Below is Chris’s recipe he used to make this tasty and easy Birria Lasagna.
- 1 Del Real Foods Birria Taco Kit (get your own here or see if it’s any local stores near you)
- 12 oz Oaxacan cheese
- 10 oz queso fresco
- Crema for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
- Finely chopped white onions for garnish
- Preheat your birria according to package instructions, in the microwave for 3-3 1/2 minutes.
- Add a generous layer of Oaxacan cheese to a frying pan or cast-iron skillet. It should be about as wide as your tortillas from the Del Real kit.
- Dip a tortilla into the consomme on each side, then place on top of the cheese so it melts into the tortilla and gets crispy on the other side. Repeat for each tortilla.
- Construct your lasagna in a baking dish. Start with a layer of cheese-fried tortillas, then top with birria and a layer of crumbled queso fresco.
- Repeat until your baking dish is full. Top the entire thing with some consomme and more Oaxacan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes to ensure the cheese gets crispy.
- Let cool slightly to set, then cut a portion to your liking. Garnish with crema, cilantro, and chopped white onion.