As we count down the days towards Valentine’s Day, the recipes we’re receiving seem to get better and better. This time around, we hear from Dunkin’ Donuts‘ executive chef Stan Frankenthaler for a special V-Day recipe utilizing one of their new Cocoa Donuts. Stan disects a Cocoa Donut by cutting it in half and facing the glazed sides inwards, followed by a shmear of reduced fat cream cheese, fresh strawberry slices and a grill session in a frying pan. The recipe can be made with a lot of variations, but the core idea is pretty solid and should help you keep your comfort food cravings from piling on too many calories during the month of love.
Here’s a full recipe/ingredient list, including an instructional video from the chef himself:
- 6 Dunkin’ Donuts Cocoa Donuts
- 6 oz Dunkin’ Donuts Reduced Fat Cream Cheese (Dunkin’ Donuts Reduced Fat Strawberry or Blueberry Cream Cheese is recommended)
- 1 Package Fresh Strawberries, Thinly Sliced
- Cooking Spray
1. Cut the Dunkin’ Donuts Cocoa Donut in half, creating a top and bottom.
2. Placing the cut side down (glazed side on the top), spread 2 Tablespoons (1 oz) of Dunkin’ Donuts Reduced Fat Cream Cheese onto both halves of the donut.
3. Slice one large strawberry thinly and place a few slices on top of the Dunkin’ Donuts Reduced Fat Cream Cheese. Top with other half of the donut.
4. Coat a fry pan with cooking spray and heat on the stove.
5. Once the pan is hot, place the donut sandwich into the pan, and cook for 2 minutes. Then, flip over and continue to cook for another minute until golden.
6. Serve warm and share with a fruit salad (optional).