Introducing: AVOCADO & BACON DEVILED EGGS
Posted by Foodbeast on Wednesday, February 3, 2016
One of our favorite culinary creators, Josh Elkin, has found a game-changing way to make deviled eggs even better than they already are, and just in time for the Big Game, too. You ready for this?
So simple, yet so genius—these two key ingredients are really all you need to make your best deviled eggs ever. All you need to do is infuse fluffy cooked egg yolks with fresh, creamy avocado and salty bacon via food processor, and BOOM.
Instant Game Day appetizer, instant breakfast, instant anytime/anywhere snack. The best part is that these avocado’d eggs are drastically better for you compared to more commonplace Big Game party snacks—nothing but protein, good fats, good flavor, and a good time.
Photo by Pete Pham
Avocado and Bacon Deviled Eggs
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Total time: 50-55 minutes
2 Hass avocados
12 large eggs
1 pack of bacon (around 10-12 strips)
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
The juice of half a lemon
Half a lemon worth of lemon zest
1 teaspoon of vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Part I – Bacon
1. Fry the bacon on the frying pan until it is fully cooked but not too crispy
2. Extract the bacon grease from the pan and run it through a sifter to get the fried bits and burnt pieces out of the grease. Set it aside.
3. Set aside half the bacon strips. Run the remaining bacon strips through the food processor creating a bacon bit mix.
Part II – Eggs
4. Fill a large saucepan or pot 1/3 of way with cold water. Add the vinegar and salt and then all the eggs. Bring the pot to a boil. Make sure the pot is big enough to hold all the eggs without them overlapping. Smaller pans or pots will require you to do this step twice.
5. When the pot starts to boil, immediately take it off the heat, cover it, and set it aside for 13 minutes.
6. Crack all the eggs and discard the shells. Carefully cut them in half making sure to keep the whites whole, as they will be the eating vessel. Take out the yolks and put them in the food processor.
Part III – Avocado
7. Slice the avocados in half. Carefully use the bottom end of the knife to take out the pit but sticking it in and twisting then pulling it out. Scoop out the avocado flesh and cut it into pieces. Put the avocados into the food processor.
8. Add a tablespoon of the reserved bacon grease, the smoked paprika, the juice of half a lemon and the half of the lemon zest to the food processor. Slowly pulse until all the ingredients are combined. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and blend it all together until you have reached a smooth consistency.
Piping the eggs
9. Add the contents of the food processor to the piping bag or Ziploc bag. Cut off the tip of the bag 1/4 of an inch up.
10. Carefully pipe the avocado egg mixture into each egg white. Chop up the remaining bacon strips into small slivers. Garnish each egg with the bacon bit slivers and remaining lemon zest.
Created in partnership with the Hass Avocado Board